COPY YOUR OWN CLOTHES TO MAKE A SEWING PATTERN
TIME: 1pm to 5pm
Do you have a favourite garment that fits you perfectly and would love to recreate it?
During this workshop you will learn how to copy your favourite garment without opening any seams or deconstructing it in any way. You will learn how to create an exact copy of the pattern pieces and add the correct seam allowances, darts and pleats etc. whilst your garment stays completely intact. You will come away from class with your finished paper pattern (not a sewn garment).
Bring in two to three simple garments, occasionally there is time to cover two garments in the workshop.
Using techniques used by pattern makers, you will learn to use 2 methods
1. Using fabric to map out their garment and learn how to transfer the voile pattern to paper.
2. How to ‘trace off ‘ your favourite garment
- Copying the shape of your garment
- Transferring seam lines, darts, gathers, tucks and any other design details
- Adding seam allowances
- Adding markings such as notches and balance marks
- Reproducing pockets and any other design details
- Basics of pattern drafting
- Adding balance lines, grain lines, seam allowances, notches and cutting instructions
- How to check the patterns for accuracy
Beginners are welcome. No previous pattern making experience is necessary, but you would benefit more you have some prior sewing experience.
174 Derby Road
Nottingham. NG9 7AY
There is limited on-street parking in Stapleford so we recommend one of the Broxtowe council carparks the nearest being Halls Road (2 minute walk) https://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/for-you/roads-parking-travel/car-parks/stapleford-car-parks/
If you are arriving from Nottingham or Derby via the Trent Barton I4 the stop is Halls Road.
If you’ve any questions about accessibility or parking for blue badge holders then let me know.
You may wish bring a bottle of water with a replaceable lid into the classroom with you. If you would like a hot drink prior to the start of the course there is Gusto Cafe very near to the Sew at 174 building and many independent coffee shops in the town.